Seal Any Openings In Your Home
Roof rats can get inside your home through an opening the size of a nickel. Carefully seal any cracks or openings using stucco diamond mesh. Its readily available at building supply stores, and its easy to cut and shape. Look for openings in your exterior walls and near the washer and dryer, the water heater, dishwasher and under the sinks. Use caulk on any cracks, and screen off the sewer stacks on your roof. Stuff steel wool into the air-conditioning lines that come from outside into the attic.
How Should I Handle Dead Rats Rat Droppings And Nesting Areas
- Use rubber gloves
- Ventilate the affected area the night before cleanup by opening doors and windows
- Spray dead rats, droppings, nests and surrounding areas with a 10% bleach solution
- Allow at least 15 minutes of contact time before removal
- Clean the affected area with paper towels or a mop
- Do not sweep or vacuum. Double bag both the disinfectant-soaked rat and cleanup materials securely in plastic bags and seal
- Dispose in city trash containers
- Before removing gloves, wash in disinfectant, then soap and water
- Dispose of gloves with other household waste. Thoroughly wash hands with soap and water
What Should You Not Do
Dont adopt a cat thinking it will solve your rat problems
Yes, cats are great hunters and the natural predator of rats, mice, and other rodents. The symbiotic relationship between cats and humans over the course of human history is in part built on the cats ability to keep our grain silos and homes free of mice.
However, cats that catch mice and ratsknown as mouserslive far shorter lives than those that dont. Theres a reason for that. Mice and rats are disease-carriers, so when your cat catches a rat, theres a chance of infection. Or the passage of ticks. Or for the cat to ingest poison that the rat has consumed at some point. Plus, a cat will only be able to do so much, as rats in wallswhere they nest and produce successive generationsare out of their reach.
If you adopt a cat, do so because youre looking for a lovable companion. Leave the mouser duties to a professional pest control technician.
Dont use cheap rat poison
The cheapest way to deal with a rat problem is to use rat poison. However, this is not an effective way to eliminate rats from inside the house. It rarely actually solves the problem, and can often make things worse. In fact, apart from the horrible smell, it can pose a health concern as rats can die in hard to reach areas. We dont think we need to elaborate on how horrible that can be.
You May Like: How Much Does Shingle Roof Cost
What Do They Eat And Drink
- They love to eat citrus fruit and other fruit
- Nuts, seeds, stored grains, and vegetables in your garden
- They also eat insects, lizards, tree bark, soap, paper, and beeswax
- Dog and cat food left outside
- Queen Palm tree fruits in the summer when citrus isnt available
- Water sources include leaky faucets, sprinkler heads, bird baths, fountains and ornamental ponds, condensation drip lines, saucers under potted plants, and pet water dishes
- They will chew through metal and plastic pipes to reach water.
Why Its A Bad Thing That Rats Drinking Your Pool Water
E.coli, salmonella, and other pathogens can live in your pool. And as your roof rats drink your pool water, they can transmit the disease. They can also fall into the pool and eventually die in the pool. This way they release more parasites into your water. And sometimes these types of parasites can survive chlorination. Thats why you need to stop roof rats drinking your pool water.
Lets take a look at how you keep your roof rats from drinking your pool water for good.
Recommended Reading: Metal Roof Gable Overhang
Remove All Standing Water On Your Property
All rat colonies need water to stay alive. When they find standing water, like puddles, ornamental ponds, birdbaths, leaky faucets and air conditioner drains can all be viable water sources for rats. Fix all outside water leaks, monitor pet water dishes, and eliminate any sources of water for rodents. Roof rats need to drink about 15 milliliters of water per day.
How To Get Rid Of Pack Rats
does have some benefits over baiting. It supplies an option for those who do not wish to place rodenticides. If the rat population is little enough, trapping can yield quick outcomes when done correctly. Lastly, trapping ensures that you can deal with the dead rats prior to their odor becomes a problem in an inaccessible location getting rid of pack rats.
For protection against accidental poisoning, use tamper-resistant bait stations that hold the baits in location and keep kids and animals out. It is a national law and guideline to utilize tamper-resistant bait stations in locations where kids or pets can access. We carry single feed bait Rat Baits are available in pellets, meal, and block kinds.
After you have actually followed the sanitation measures outlined above you can start the rat elimination process. There are several techniques offered for both indoor and outdoor rat control and you should select the technique that best fits your needs and preferences. Products required: selected trap, bait for trap Trapping is the favored approach of indoor control.
Trapping does not need using rat toxins inside. Trapping does permit you to know if a rat has actually been trapped so that you can be sure your efforts are working. And last, trapping allows you to remove the carcass to prevent bad smells and secondary insect infestations from rotting carcasses.
Don’t Miss: How To Add A Gable Overhang
Rat Removal And Control: How To Keep Rats Away
There are many measures that you can take to prevent a rat infestation and combat existing rodent problems. At the end of the day, though, the only sure way to fully resolve a rat problem is by reaching out to experts. Getting rid of rats isnt easy theyve spent tens of thousands of generations adapting to living discreetly in our shadows. By the time people realize they have rats, its likely that the infestation has already ballooned out of control.
But where rats have evolved to be tough to get rid of, we have the advantage of knowledge. As expert rat exterminators, were deeply familiar with the different species of rats and what it takes to deal with each type of infestation. We have a broad, well-developed repertoire of techniques to get rid of rats and deal with the problems they create. Whether you need to exterminate rats in the attic or keep packrats out of your car, we have the skills youre looking for. When your living situation creates new extermination challenges, such as dealing with rats in your apartment, we can help.
Rat extermination costs more than attempting to deal with the problem on your own, but its the only way to enjoy a guaranteed resolution to your rat problems. The combination of rat removal and prevention means that youre saving time and money in the long run, compared to eliminating infestation after infestation on your own. Youre not just paying for rat extermination, youre paying for future peace of mind.
Facts About Rats In Arizona Restaurants
Roof rats in restaurants are more than just an unsightly nuisance. These nasty creatures can bring a whole host of problems to the restauranteur, staff members, and patrons. If there are signs of rats, there could be a possible infestation. A roof rat restaurant invasion can cause several issues.
- Attacks: Roof rats are known to be aggressive when they feel threatened. Humans can be the perfect target for these rough rodents. A scratch or bite can lead to rat-bite fever. This condition can cause joint pain, headaches, fever, and vomiting.
- Bad Press: If one roof rat is seen in a restaurant, that can be bad news cell phones can provide even more incriminating evidence. One social media post is all it can take for a restaurant to lose business, perhaps permanently. If the health department catches wind of rats, they may shut the doors until appropriate actions are taken.
- Diseases: Types of rats in Arizona, like the roof rat, can carry and spread diseases. The bubonic plague, typhus, trichinosis, and salmonellosis are some conditions that roof rats can cause.
- Property Destruction: Why stop at spreading disease, biting, and causing a loss of business? Roof rats keep expanding their scope of wicked behaviors by ruining parts of restaurants. Rats can gnaw through plastic, drywall, siding, wiring, and wood.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does A New Roof Cost In California
Check Out All Of Our Great Reviews
“Urban Desert Pest Control is great! They answered my phone call right away, addressed all my concerns.”
– Brittany Eidson
“After finding a few scorpions at our new home, Jim came out to perform an inspection and treat our home.”
– Fernando Gonzalez
“I love this company. I have been with Urban for a couple years now. Great staff and technicians.”
– Chris Sanchez
The First Step For Rat Control Is Sanitation Inspection And Exclusion
The first step is a complete inspection with proper sanitation and exclusion procedures. The next step is choosing between using rodent baits, rat traps, or a combination of both methods.
- Inspection is an essential first step in getting rid of rats. Once you know the location of the rats, you can set traps or place bait.
- Exclusion is an important rodent control technique. It will eliminate the rats by making it difficult for them to enter the home or structure. Rats are easier to exclude than mice because rats are typically larger. Mice can enter an opening as small as 3/8″ wide. All openings greater than 1/4″ should be sealed to exclude mice. For rats, all openings greater than 1/2 inches should be sealed.
- Please also read the section on Sanitation, as it is an important consideration in rodent control.
- Rats are wary of new objects, new foods, or environmental changes. They are always exploring surroundings and notice changes, and are suspicious by nature. Their suspicious nature is why traps and bait stations may be avoided for a day or two. They approach new food or objects with caution. Within a rat colony, they may be a few extra cautious rats and manage to avoid traps or eating rodent baits.
Recommended Reading: Roof Overhang Extension
Keep Your Chandler Houses Surroundings Clean
Before keeping your roof rats away from your pool, you must control the roof rat infestation first. You need to destroy the rodents nest including the piles of wood and palm trees. Make sure to clean up the fallen fruits, vegetables, and nuts from the ground and around your house. This helps to prevent rat infestation.
Sometimes roof rats also live off the bird feeders and trash cans. So remove your bird feeders from your house and make sure the lid of the trash can is tightly closed.
How To Get Rid Of Rats Naturally & Without Harming Pets
If you need to get rid of rats naturally, you have a variety of options to choose from. While fumigating a home with poison gases is the easiest way to kill rats in your house, its an extreme step that often isnt necessary. Instead of destroying their nests, you can make your home uninviting.
Identify areas of rat activity, which feces, paw prints, and dirt from their oily bodies will identify and place traps in these areas. If you find that rats are leaving traces of their presence in the pantry or the trash, then you know where theyre getting their food. You should take steps to make sure the rats have access to as little food as possible in your home, which will encourage them to take the bait in your snap traps.
The harder it is for rats to find other food sources, the more likely theyll be to walk into snap traps or eat a natural rat killer such as Ecoclear RatX. If you find and seal the holes that rats use to get into your home, the less likely an infestation will continue. If you dont want to use chemical baits and poisons, then you should experiment with different natural baits such as peanut butter, bacon, and berries. You can even try to make your own natural rat poisons and see what kind of results you get.
You May Like: Where Do The Screws Go On A Metal Roof
Getting The Roof Rat To Disappear
When you see proof of a rodent infiltration, call a professional to show you how to tell if you have roof rats. They have a couple of ways to take care of this problem. Ensnaring and deterring these pests will effectually diminish your domestic pesticide population. You have a wide variety of choices: can trap, including snapshots, sticky traps, automated cages, and repellent collections. Knowing which species of rat is present can help come up with the best solution. But can mice climb walls? Lets find that out.
What Do Rats Eat
Rats eat virtually anything, from worms to eggs to the vulnerable young of animals that would eat rats in adulthood. When theyre introduced to a new area, rats will quickly learn how to eat whats available. In a testament to the intelligence of these rodents, people have even observed invasive rat species diving for mollusks or stalking and killing waterfowl. When it comes to your pantry, rats prefer foods that are high in carbs, protein, and fats.
Carb-rich cereals are a favorite target across different species, and some love fruit while others dont care for them. Of all of your household foods, the one with the most universal appeal among rats is probably peanut butter. Rats already like nuts, and peanut butter is fattier and loaded with sugar. One particularly common household food source for rats is pet food since its nutrient-rich and people often store it carelessly.
Recommended Reading: Cost To Replace Roof Sheathing
Avoid The Situation Avoid The Rats
As with many invasive rodents and critters, the best way to keep them out is to make your home and yard uninviting. Secure attics, eaves, and crawlspaces. Remove piles of garbage, junk, or debris . Dont leave food out, either inside or outside .
One of the ways to remove rats from your property is to use rat poison. Because we know that our customers want to keep their properties rodent-free, we provide safe bait traps for Phoenix homeowners to use on their property.
Rat Poison Pros And Cons
Ken Brown, owner/operator of Eco-Logic Management , describes how he uses rat poison:
I put out bait boxes, which are boxes that secure the bait inside. The bait contains a pheromone that attracts the rat to it.
After the rat eats the bait, it slowly dries the rat out over the course of about three days until they basically fall asleep, usually in their nest.
“Boxes are usually placed near AC units and pool pumps because that wiring is a big target for rats to chew on.
Brown says the pros of using rat poison include:
- Bait boxes lock with a key so that pets and children cannot get into them.
- The poison can work on many rats at once.
- The boxes are regularly maintained by a licensed exterminator.
As for cons, Brown said bait boxes cost more than buying and maintaining old-fashioned mouse snap traps, rats may die in a nest that is in the homeowners attic and it will smell for about three days, and once in a great while a rat will die out in the open.”
You May Like: Cost To Reseal Rv Roof
What Are The Warning Signs Of A Rat Infestation
Here are some of the potential signs of a rat infestation:
- Sightings: In most cases, a single rat isnt a one-off. It could mean there are more rats around your property. Rats do their best to avoid humans and their pets, so outdoor camerasespecially motion-sensing onesare ideal for catching them in the act.
- Half-eaten citrus: If you notice that your fallen citrus is all half-eaten, it could be a sign of rodent activity in your yard. Some birds also consume citrus fruit, but rarely with the voraciousness of a family of rats.
- Pets on alert: Your dog or cat has better hearing and a sense of smell that you do. If your pets are acting strangely and have their attention fixated on the ceiling of your home, it could be something they sense in your attic.
- Noises: Of course, not all rat-related sounds are beyond the range of human hearing. As rats tussle and scratch around in an attic, you can often hear it on a quiet night. Listen carefully, and you may even hear the telltale squeaks of rats or mice.
Why Are Roof Rats In My House
Roof rats are in your house because they are looking for food, water, and places to nest. Additionally, they prefer to be in higher locations to keep themselves safe from ground predators and to safely store their food. Because roof rats are great climbers, they have no problem reaching hard-to-access spaces. This is why there are often roof rats in attics and ceilings, which cause the dreaded overhead scurrying sound typical to an infestation.
Also Check: Skylight For Metal Roof
How To Keep The Rats Away From Your Home