Does My Roof Need Replacing
Roofing problems can easily go undetected until they become more serious and costlier to fix, so regular checks should be carried out to detect faults early and avoid high roofing costs. However, if you are considering replacing a roof, then things have probably progressed way beyond minor repairs.
You may need to replace your roof if you notice a leak in the ceiling or attic. This could include everything from watermarks to damp patches and mould, which could be signs of water damage in the upper storeys of your home. More severe water damage could present as sagging or bowed parts of the roof internally. At this stage, not only will you need expensive roofing work, but you could also require a joiner to replace the ceiling, plus a plasterer and/or interior decorator to repair the water damage inside your home.
Other clear signs that you need your roof replacing include escaping light, debris in gutters, or even falling mortar from a broken chimney. These faults are not only dangerous but may also require further work such as repointing the chimney, replacing the gutters and adding insulation.
If you have not checked your roof for several years, you may even notice a process of rotting which may have spread to your inner walls.
You should also try to keep track of ageing materials, as some age quicker than others. The table below sets out the different types of materials and their lifespans:
|20 to 30 years|
Why Do You Need A Proper Roof Replacement Quotation
The replacement costs of roofs in Sydney can vary a lot.
The nature of the roof replacement. The demand/supply equation. The quality of the completed work and the warranty offered. The quality of the roofers. And sometimes, there are some strange reasons why roofers make mistakes in quoting for work.
The reason that I have to come out to inspect your roof is that I have to do detailed measurements of the roof components, assess the site conditions and look out for any special conditions. Then all these go into my computerised estimating program and out pops the quotation for your roof replacement.
You should get a few quotes to give you some comfort before you make that big decision about who is going to do that roof replacement for you.
Roof Installation Labor Costs
Installing a new roof is a time intensive project and labor costs account for a significant amount of the total installation price. Most roofers will charge somewhere around $300 per square for labor.
This can vary based on geographic location and labor rates in your area. On average labor makes up 40%-50% of the installation price, but factors such as the complexity or pitch of the roof will require additional time and labor to accommodate.
Don’t Miss: Adding Eaves To Gable End
Additional Considerations And Costs
- Lifespan. Tiles, especially those made of clay and concrete, are among the most cost-effective choices due to their long lifespan. They last for 50 to 100 years or more, outlasting almost all other materials. Most companies offer warranties for 50 years.
- Care. If your structure is not properly cared for and maintained, it will experience further damage and can eventually impact the contents inside the home.
- DIY. Unless you have extensive knowledge and experience, you should not attempt this project yourself. If the material is not installed properly, this leads to serious issues down the road.
Roofing Costs By Type
Asphalt shingles are the most popular choice for most homeowners today. Theyre affordable and durable, lasting up to 50 years in some cases. But if youre looking at replacing your roof, youve got lots of different options, as long as your budget is relatively large. Heres a roof replacement cost comparison of different roofing materials:
|$25,000 or more|
Also Check: Hydro Stop Roof Coating Cost
What Affects The Cost Of Colorbond Roofing
Miscellaneous costs can enter consideration in replacing any roof, even when Colorbond offers the greatest value for the money.
- Changing out a roof on a home in a remote location costs more.
- Complex roof designs, such as the pyramidal square hip roof costs more.
- Difficult access adds to price. If your home is in a dense urban settlement, access can add appreciably to labour costs.
- The height of your roof adds to cost. Replacing higher roofs costs more.
- The height of your home adds to cost. Replacing roofs on home with two, three, or four stories will incur extra charges for labour and removal of debris.
How Much Does Roof Tiling Cost
The typical roof tiling cost in South Africa varies from R90 R150 per square meter for installation only, excluding the tiles.
Below are the average costs for various types of roofing tiles.
- For concrete tiles, it costs R9,90 per tile.
- For terracotta tiles, it costs R10,00 per tile.
- For slate tiles, prices may vary, please enquire.
Roof tiling can be a significant house enhancement. However, just how much does roof tiling cost? There isnt an easy response, as the expense of roofing system tiles differs, as does the setup expenses. One roof can cost far less than another roof of the very same size, since the pitch and intricacy of a roofing system style will impact the cost, as will the cost of roofing tiles.
Read this guide to learn more about the elements impacting roofing system tiling cost
- The cost of concrete roof tiles
- The cost of terracotta roof tiles
- The cost of slate roof tiles
- Determining the size of a roofing system
- Getting quotes from roofing tilers
- Roofing tiles vs. metal roofs
- Roofing replacement expenses
Read Also: Metal Roof Extension
What About A Ballpark Before I Go Getting Proper Quotes
I frequently get calls for people who just want a rough roof replacement cost. It is also a popular search term in Google. So for those visitors who are looking for some idea about roof replacement costs in Sydney
1) Using square metre rate: You may already know how many square metres of roofing you want replaced. Otherwise, just use Google earth to find your property. Then use its ruler function to measure out the perimeter of the roof. Multiply the area that you work out by 1.1
If it is a pitched roof to get the effective area. The range of prices to replace your roof is: $100 to $130 per square metre .
This will include removal of the existing roof materials and disposal, replacement with colorbond metal or roof tiles , and final tidy up. Steep roofs, difficult site access, smaller roofs, asbestos cement roofs and remote sites will be at the high end of the range.
Simple roofs with single or double pitches, easy access and average sized roofs will be at the lower end of the scale. Concrete tiled roofs are generally the cheapest, followed by terracotta then colorbond roofs.
2) Examples of from the Roofing Professionals Westside database: This is best done by showing pictures of our past roof replacements and giving you some idea of what we quoted for those roofs. The second half of the video below does just that
and costs are about 30% more today).
New Roof Cost Breakdown
Re-roofing your house can be a daunting home improvement project, but by following a few guidelines and a good idea of what to expect, it doesnt have to break the bank.
The following breakdown will cover simple gable style roofs. The price is determined by:
- Cost of materials: This could include roof tiles, ridge tiles, batons, felt, fixings, sand/cement, cement under cloak and more. A generally starting point is £1,200.
- Scaffolding costs: £900.
- Waste/skip hire costs: £184 for a 6-yard skip and £216 for an 8-yard skip.
- Labour costs: This is variable and will depend on where you are located. A good rough starting point is £250/day for both a roofer and labourer.
- Company profits: This will be rolled into the total price and can cover things like insurance for the workers, sick pay, administrative costs, advertising, vehicles, etc. This cost is likely around £300/day.
- Optional extras: This cost would encompass anything that could be replaced, but when push comes to shove doesnt need to be. This can include replacing pipe sleeves and other leadwork along with the roof tiles, repoint chimney, replace fascia, soffits, and rainwater guttering, installing roof tile vents or rigid eaves felt, and replace soil pipe sleeves. Depending upon the amount of extra work done, this figure could reach into several thousand pounds.
Also Check: How Many Screws Per Sheet Of Metal Roofing
How Long Does A Colorbond Roof Last
The steel in your Colorbond roof has been rated by engineers to last as long as 100 years in pristine, rural environments before it needs structural maintenance, even though it may benefit from touch-up painting every 10 years. Even in seaside salt-spray conditions, Colorbond should stay rust free even without maintenance for up to half a century.
How Much Do Roofers Earn
This varies upon location but a team of two competent workers would normally command a gross wage of around £250 per day in the south of the UK.
This figure doesnt include an employers national insurance contributions and other running costs a roofing business will have to account for, its just how much roofers typically earn.
Read Also: How Much Does It Cost To Recoat An Rv Roof
Sealing Roof Tiles Cost
To protect your roof tiles from moisture damage during heavy rainfall or other adverse weather, you should consider having a sealant applied to your roof tiles.
The average cost of sealing and cleaning roof tiles is around £1500 to £2500, although the final price will depend on the size of your roof.
How Much Does A New Roof Cost
It is incredibly difficult to estimate the exact cost of a new roof but as a guideline budget a minimum of £5,000. The cost of a new roofing structure can vary based on the materials used, the height, roof pitch, location, accessibility, size, scaffolding style, and labour work required.
You should contact a local roofing professional to get a quote based on your roofing requirements.
Note: According to Rated People the cost for 1 bedroom house for the main roof starts from £2,000, while for a 2 bedroom house starts from £3,500.
Don’t Miss: Skylight Metal Roof
Other Factors Impacting The Cost Of Roof Tiling
Aside from the type of material you will use, consider the following factors when estimating costs.
If youre looking for roof tiles in Perth and roof tiles in Brisbane, you would notice a slight difference in its pricing. Thats because roof tiling materials and services also depend on location.
For example, roof tiling services in Queensland have higher rates at $45.08 per square metre on average. Meanwhile, roof tiling rates cost slightly more in Victoria with $47.15 per square metre.
On the other hand, New South Wales offers the highest average roof tiling cost at $60.02 per square metre.
Consider where you will buy or install your roof tiles to have a better estimate of your costs or save on roof tile rates.
The roof pitch is the angle of your roof. A steeper roof pitch means you have more area to cover. As a result, you would have to buy more roof tiles which increases your overall roof tiling cost.
Moreover, a steeper roof pitch may drive your labour costs up due to safety issues. Ideally, a roof angle should be around 18 to 22 degrees.
The roof area determines how many tiles are needed for square metres, and how long it would take for roof tilers to work on your roof. Consider this major factor when calculating your tile roof cost.
If you want to measure how many ridge tiles per metre you need, look at the drawing plan of your house and measure your roof area.
Benefits Of A Tile Roof #
Whether you choose a tile roof constructed from ceramic or concrete, the end result is a high quality roof that provides a number of advantages, including:
- Performance: In addition to a long life, tile roofing holds up very well in extreme conditions such as hurricanes and earthquakes. Tile roofs also have a class-A fire rating.
- Efficiency: Tile roofs fly under the radar as a green building solution. Tile provides excellent insulation and air circulation that will help keep your home warm during the winter and cool during the summer.
- Appearance: There are many sensible reasons to install a tile roof, but you couldn’t be blamed for purchasing one on looks alone. Tile not only provides look of classic beauty and quality, but can be purchased in a wide range of colors, designs, and finishes to match any design scheme.
Read Also: Overhang Extension
What Is The Cost Of Painting A Colorbond Roof
The cost of professionally painting a Colorbond roof ranges from $50 to $70 an hour inclusive of GST. Your roof painter will also charge for any necessary prep work and cleaning.
Why does painting Colorbond cost up to $70 an hour? First, the painter washes the surfaces to be painted with water and detergent followed by a rinse with clean water to remove any residues, grease, or dirt that may have accumulated on the steel.
Then the painter needs to sand the Colorbond to ensure good adhesion of the paint. This step does not remove the protective zinc coating added to the Colorbond at the factory, because the heat in the galvanizing vat, about 425° C, is hot enough that the zinc and steel form a layer of alloy that goes into the steel itself. It only takes a little scuffing up of the baked-on paint on the Colorbond to ensure good adhesion of the new coat of paint.
Depending on what paint is used to paint your Colorbond, the painter may need to apply a primer, or just use a single coat of a self-priming acrylic. Then the painter applies top coats.
How Long Can I Expect My Roof Restoration To Last
Generally, a quality roof restoration will last between ten and 15 years, and additionally, paint manufacturers will typically give a warranty, which is at least ten years. After that time, the roof coating should still remain on tiles, and the ridge capping only needs repointing.
Over time, the roof paint will fade, and the glaze will erode. However, as long as the coating remains on the tiles, they should be protected to an extent. Once the glaze has deteriorated, the coating underneath oxidises and becomes very chalky. The oxidised coating must be removed, along with the dirt and grit on the surface and in the craters and pores of the tiles.
Ridge capping generally lasts ten years, however, eventually the mortar will begin to break down, resulting in cracks. This is when leaks may occur, along with other roof-related issues. If you put off re-pointing, you will eventually need your ridge capping re-bedding, which is much more costly than re-pointing. When a roofs ridge capping is rebedded, the old mortar is removed, and the ridge caps are reset.
Also Check: Skylight On Metal Roof
Consider Installing An Overlay
A roofing overlay is an alternative to roof replacement when there is a limited budget. This option applies only if you have not installed an overlay before. An overlay involves installing new singles on the top of the existing ones. This way you get to keep your old roof and reduce spend, as overlaying takes fewer labour hours.
A word of caution about overlays as they are not always the best solution. New singles tend to last less than the manufacturers warranty due to extra heat trapped by the added layers. You add extra weight to your roof endangering the structural integrity of your house. Furthermore, overlays do not always look that great, make it difficult to inspect the condition of the deck when reroofing and also reduce resale value.
Optional And Compulsory Add Ons
To comply with current building regulations, if you replace more than 50% of your roof covering, you must also upgrade your existing roof insulation to meet current building requirements.
The cheapest and quickest way to achieve this is to install extra loft insulation placed directly above the ceiling. This page reveals how much loft insulation costs.
We already provided a price guide for replacement roofline boards, but bear in mind that its cheaper to replace them at the same time as your roof than having to put scaffold up again and doing the work as a separate project.
Building control notification fees vary from council to council. Also, if your chosen contractor is part of the Competent Roofer scheme, they can notify building control for a small nominal fee, this is because scheme members are able to self-certify their work as part.
Unregistered roofing contractors can still notify building control about the roof work but at extra cost. The price is different for each council but you can expect to pay £200-450 per notification.
You May Like: Where Do The Screws Go On A Metal Roof
What Are The Additional Costs Of A New Roof To Consider
Depending on if you want any extras as part of a new roof, there are several considerations that may increase cost.
If your house is large, professional roofers may require scaffolding to reach places that they cant with ladders. Scaffolding can cost around £600 depending on how much is needed.
Also, if youre considering installing a loft conversion or skylight as part of your new roof, this will add a substantial cost.
Bay Window Roof Replacement Cost
To replace a bay window roof with architectural asphalt, you can expect to spend $398 for a 12 square foot perch.A typical bay window is 7 feet wide, and your bay window roof will extend 24 from your wall. Add another 6 inches for the roof to extend over the front of the window. The chart below shows the price for architectural asphalt shingles, clay tile, and copper roofing.
Bay Window Roof Replacement Cost
- Pay for permits
Don’t Miss: Adding Gable Overhang To Existing Roof