Build The Witchs Cap Roof For The Shed Cupola
The curved roof is the most time-consuming part of this project. Here are some tips to make the job go smoothly:
- Use a jigsaw to cut the curved rafters. Dont worry about making the curves perfect. The roof sheathing will smooth over bumps and dips.
- The gaps between the pieces of sheathing at the ridges will allow the ridge cap shingles to curve gently over the ridges. If you place the sheathing pieces tightly together, youll get a sharp ridge and the shingles will crack when you bend them.
- Cut full-size shingles into 4-in. wide strips with a utility knife, using a framing square as a guide. Each of the three tabs on a full shingle is about 12 in. wide., so youll get nine small shingles from each full shingle.
You May Like: How Much Is A Shingle Roof Per Square Foot
What Is Your Garage Used For
Your garage can be exactly that a garage. Somewhere you store all your tools, garden furniture, the family bikes or your motor vehicle. Often though it can be so much more. Many people have the garage as an extension of the home. If it is attached to the house either on the side or the front, it can be knocked through to become another room. The garage door is replaced by windows and the room converted to serve its new purpose.
How Can I Save Money On A New Roof For My Garage
You can lay the roof yourself if you are competent at DIY. This will save you the labour costs.
Remember though if you need to renew joists and boards, you will need to know how to do this too.
If your old roof needs stripping, you could do this yourself and then get a professional to do the rest of the work. Stripping a roof yourself will save you between £75 and £100, but then you will need to dispose of the waste.
Dont waste hours trawling the internet to try and find a suitable roofing specialist. Use HouseholdQuotes instead!
Fill in the online form. Tell us what you need, and well find you, local roofers, to give you no-obligation quotes for a new garage roof.
Comparing Quotes Could Save You Up To 40%:
Read Also: Do Roofing Companies Do Gutters
How Do You Plan To Use The Space
Another consideration with a steep roof is whether or not you may want to use the attic space as a living space in future. If so, your choices in materials and methods of installation will differ from those used for a simple storage space.
If youll be using it as a living space, make sure all of your materials are safe for people to be around on an extended basis.
Whats The Advantage Of Getting A Permit To Raise The Roof Of Your Garage
Raising the roof of your garage is a very visible change. People will see and hear you doing it, and they are very likely to call the authorities and complain. If/when this happens, youll be forced to pay fines. You may also be forced to undo any work youve done and apply for permits, which you may not get.
If you do get the permits you need, youll have to do all the work over again. On the other hand, you may get away with making the changes without a permit, but this can work to your disadvantage when you try to sell your home.
Read Also: What Are The Dimensions Of Metal Roofing
Installing A Felt Roof On Top Of Decking
Always use good quality felt. A poor quality felt wont last more than a few years.
Roll the felt out and leave it to relax for about half an hour. Then put the felt onto the roof and nail down from the centre edge working outwards.
Make sure the roof is completely covered. Apply adhesive to the material.
Lay the second layer of felt to the roof. Smooth out any air bubbles.
Apply adhesive to the second layer of felt. Pat down the surface using a trowel or by walking on the roof.
Now add another layer of adhesive and finish off by coating with gravel or a similar type of aggregate to strengthen the roof.
Install A Metal Ridge Vent
- 11.1 Snap a chalk line 7/8 from the ridge on both sides of the roof. If roof trusses are evident, the gap should be 1 ¾ the length of the ridge. Leave 8-10 along a wall or chimney.
- 11.2 Measure the thickness of the sheathing and adjust the circular saw to that measurement.
- 11.3 Cut the sheathing and be sure not to cut down to the rafters. Follow the two chalk lines along the ridge.
- 11.4 Use a wood chisel to complete the cut at the ends
- 11.5 Remove the sheathing panel with a pry bar. Remove all nails along the cut.
- 11.6 Install the shingles up to the ridge so that they cover the sealed strip on both sides of the ridge.
- 11.7 Cut the shingles covering the vent opening.
- 11.8 Center the vent on the ridge.
- 11.9 Nail at the top of the opening every 6, alternating from side to side.
Read Also: When Do You Replace A Roof
Garage Featuresselect The Features That Suit Your Needs
Read Also: How To Repair Mobile Home Roof Trusses
Whether You Need To Strip The Old Roof
Sometimes you dont need to strip the roof and you can have a new one laid on top of the old one. This doesnt always apply though if you are having a fibreglass roof fitted.
Stripping a garage roof will save you a few hours of labour if you do it yourself or it might be included in the quotation for a replacement garage roof.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does A Typical Shingle Roof Last
How Much Does A New Roof Cost
The new roof costs in this article are correct as of 2021
A home wouldnt be much of a home without a roof keeping out the elements, yet their vulnerable position as the first line of defence against driving rain and howling winds means they need some care attention to keep them at their best. Whether you need a new flat roof on your garage, or just need to replace a few tiles, youll want to know how much it costs to repair or replace your roof before you start making plans. Weve spoken to some of the expert tradespeople on MyBuilder to find out what you might need to know.
To Slope Or Not To Slope
If you plan to park a car in your garage, youll want a sloped floor so the water/ snow tracked in can run back out. Even if you want a flat floor for a shop space, the area near the overhead door should be sloped down so rainwater doesnt run back into the building. A good concrete crew will be able to slope just the areas that need it and keep the other areas flat, so you wont have to build on an unlevel surface.
Don’t Miss: Why Do Roofs Need To Be Replaced
Garage Roof Styles: The Materials
Next lets look at the last piece to garage roof styles: its roofing materials.
The type of roofing material that you choose will affect the overall price of your garage, its aesthetics, and its functionality.
There are 3 main roofing material categories to choose from: shingles, metal, and membrane. There are also several other less common options.
Lets go over each category.
How Do You Raise The Whole Garage
Raising the whole garage is actually not as hard on the structure as raising the roof. If you find that the garage is a bit compromised, you may want to hire a professional to shore up its structure and then jack up the entire building and add a footer to the floor.
How I Lifted My Double Garage Up 21 Inches
Recommended Reading: Where Do You Buy Metal Roofing
How To Choose The Right Material For Your Garage Roof
Before you opt for a specific type of roofing material, you should consider how important your garages visual appearance is to your entire household. Factors you should take into account include whether you have an attached or detached garage and if the garage is visible from the street or not.
If your garage is a direct extension of your house, its roof may affect your entire propertys aesthetic appearance and selling value. With that in mind, lets take a look at the most common roofing materials for residential buildings:
- Asphalt Shingles Asphalt shingles are the most commonly used roofing material on residential buildings in the US. They are durable, cost-effective, and make great garage roofs. There are three major types of asphalt shingles, 3-tab shingles, dimensional shingles, and premium asphalt shingles.
- Tile Roofing Roofing tiles, especially ones made from clay, are trendy in Europe. In the US, theyre not as widespread but are still an excellent roofing solution. Since roofing tiles are heavy, clay and concrete tiles might not be the most suitable for your garage roof.
- Metal Roofing Metal roofing is an excellent choice for garage roofs, even though its a bit more expensive than the previous options. At Code Engineering Systems, we purchase most of our roofing materials from Tri-County Metals. Based in Trenton, theyre a premium Florida metal roofing provider.
Ready For Your New Deck
If you have the right type of home for this project and youre willing to spend the money, its time to get started on building your new deck! Whatever you do, make sure you hire professionals, like Legacy Service, who know what theyre doing, so your deck can bring you rest and relaxation for years to come.
Our team at Legacy Service has the experience and expertise you need for this job. We handle all types of home exterior design, installation, and replacement services, and were always ready to help a homeowner achieve the dream house theyve been yearning for. Rooftop decks require careful preparation, thoughtful design, and expert construction services. Once its done , you might even be wondering how you used to live without one. To schedule a roof replacement consultation, give us a call at 215-798-9790 or contact us at .
Posted on Oct 24, 2019 in Roof
Read our news
HOW LONG SHOULD A ROOF LAST?ELEMENTS
A lot of elements play a role in maintaining the integrity of the roof, but as a homeowner, the most important components to pay attention to are the underlayment, ventilation, and material.
You May Like: How To Install Solar Panels On Your Roof
Preparation Prior To Laying Shingles
In most cases installing shingles will mean a considerable amount of preparation. The roof probably already has one or two layers that may need to be removed. Rotted sheathing may need to be replaced and new felt may be needed.
If your current roof has a single layer of shingles that are still in reasonable condition the new shingles may be laid right over them, but if there are already two layers or if the existing shingles are in poor condition removing the old shingles will be necessary. Note that there will already be two layers showing at the very edge of the roof when there is only one layer the first layer is only a starter run placed only at the edge. If there are three or more layers at the edge it will mean the entire roof has at least two layers.
Shingles are best removed with a special tool, a shingle removal shovel. These are not particularly expensive and are highly recommended as they will cut the time and effort necessary by a huge amount. Shingles, and the nails holding them, can be removed with a hammer and prybar, but this special shovel will make the work of removing shingles much easier and cut the time required by Â¾.
Check the existing wood sheathing for soft spots and repair or replace them as necessary. The roof in the example had just one such area a 1X2 foot piece that had never been nailed properly and simply needed to be re-nailed.
Dont Miss: When Should You Replace Your Roof
Gable Garage Roof Style
The gable garage roof is your typical, A-frame roof style. With a central ridge and a simple, symmetrically-sloped roof, the gable frame offers a simplistic, traditional look to your property. The garage door is typically placed below the gable on single-car garages, but can be placed on the gable or side walls on larger multiple-car garages.
The gable or A-frame garage roof style is the most common garage roof style.
Read Also: How To Mount A Cupola On A Roof
How To Build Roof Trusses For A Garage For Maximum Ceiling Height
If you wonder how to build a roof truss, wellit is easy to do. You only need to put on your best attention while learning about this, and you are halfway to making it yourself.
Common trusses are planned to support up to 40o span, which you can get in todays houses. If you wonder how to maximize the ceiling height for the garage, you should know that it is genuinely possible to do. A roof trust can make a roof with a span of up to 80o without additional support, but that will be impractical and expensive to do.
Making such trusses that enable you to maximize the ceiling height is similar to making other trusses you commonly find in houses nowadays. Heres how to build garage roof trusses.
Planning isnt merely linked to getting the suitable materials for the trusses. Planning how far you will go for the slope is what you need to do in this step. Not to forget, you should consider what kind of roof you are willing to use as your garage roof. This is required to prepare the right timber product capable of accommodating the weight of the roof itself.
Now that you know the budget and what kind of materials you are using for the truss, its time to purchase it. For sample purposes, we are referring to make garage roof trusses with timbers.
Now that you got the product cut it according to the size you prefer.
You May Like: Attic Trusses Cost
Installing A Rubber Roof On Top Of Decking
Roll out the rubber across the deck to allow it to relax. It usually takes about half an hour.
When the membrane is relaxed, roll up half of it and apply adhesive directly onto the decking with a roller. Place the rubber on top of the decking and sweep it to remove any air bubbles.
Next, roll out the other half of the rubber and do the same again.
When the rubber has been attached to the decking, you should put adhesive along the edges of the deck and to the rubber sticking down the edges and the corners.
Now you can fix the gutter trim and then fix the corners and the joining clips.
Trim off any excess rubber membrane and sweep over the roof again.
You May Like: How Much Does A Retractable Roof Cost
Cost To Reroof A House
The total cost to reroof a house with new shingles is between $4,707 to $15,690 which includes old roof removal, new roofing materials, and professional installation. The cost of materials alone range from $3,240 to $10,800 depending on the size of your roof.
To remove the old shingles, expect to spend between $1,467 and $4,890 or from $125 and $500 per roofing square. Costs are adjusted based on the difficulty of removing and disposing of the existing type of roofing material. If your roofing professional discovers structural issues in the rafters after removing your old roof, you could have to pay an additional $1,000 to $10,000.
Install The Eaves Protection Membrane And Cover The Valleys
- 2.1 Install self-adhesive waterproof membrane 36-72 wide on all fascia boards.
- 2.2 Unroll and align the membrane so that it overlaps the metal drip edge by 3/8.
- 2.3 Temporarily attach the roof membrane at a few equidistant locations.
- 2.4 Fold back the lower half and peel off the release film.
- 2.5 Reposition and press down to ensure good adherence.
- 2.6 Remove the temporary installations and fold back the upper half of the membrane.
- 2.7 Peel off the release film, reposition and press down to ensure good adherence.
- 2.8 Repeat to cover the eaves and fascia.
- 2.9 Lap the end joins by 6 and the lateral joins by 3.
- 2.10 Install roof vents and other roof elements on the decking.
- 2.11 Cover valleys with self-adhesive waterproof membrane. Begin at the lower section of the roof. Center a 36 strip so that half of the strip covers each side. Overlap each section of the membrane by 6-12.
- 2.12 Lay the self-adhesive membrane to extend 4 up the sides of the chimney and to form a 12 strip on the roof around the chimney.
- 2.13 Cover ridges and crests so that half a strip covers each side.
Recommended Reading: When Is It Too Hot To Shingle A Roof
Disposing The Old Shingles
The new shingles I used were eleven and a half bundles at 32 kg each, totaling 368 kg . Considering there were three layers of shingles, the old ones were either a lot lighter than my new ones, or much of their weight had weathered away.
And there I was in the midst of all that, with my little yellow car and trailer, sweating in the heat and humidity as I pried the shingles off my trailer.
It was a far cry from the sunny trips to an isolated dump that we used to go to in northernOntario!
On my second trip, I brought a camera, with the settings already adjusted to hopefullydo a decent job capturing the rather dark scene. I certainly didn’t want to linger any longer than necessary or attract attentionfor taking pictures.