Best Asphalt Shingles: Reviewing The Best Roofing Shingles For 2021
Welcome to the Roofing Insights Asphalt Shingle Guide 2021, brought to you by Enhancify!
Enhancify is an excellent resource for contractors because they offer financing to homeowners who otherwise could not afford the price of a new roof.
To learn more about Enhancify and how they can help you reach a larger customer base, visit our affiliate link today!
Now, the purpose of the Roofing Insights 2021 Shingle Guide is twofold:
. To educate homeowners and contractors on initial shingle quality
. To send manufacturers feedback regarding the positives and negatives of their products
In this shingle guide, Roofing Insights examined 11 different brands:
- Atlas Pinnacle Pristine
Lets take a closer at each individual category and how certain brands fared.
At the end of the article, the final results will be revealed.
How Should My Roof Look
Asphalt shingles are the most common type of shingle and come in many different colors. However, you can use different roofing materials to match the architecture and style of your home.
- Rustic: If you want a rustic look, wood shingles are a great way to go. Thats why theyve been used for hundreds of years! They turn a rustic gray color when weathered and fit cottage, craftsman or Tudor-style homes.
- Elegant: If elegance is more your style, choose a roofing material like clay or slate tile. Tile is made in many different shapes and textures that offer a unique, upscale feel.
- Modern: For a more modern look, consider metal paneling or shingles. Metal roofing comes in aluminum, copper, stainless steel and zinc. If your home is modern and youre on a budget, asphalt shingles are your cheapest option.
Which Type Of Shingle Is Right For Your Roof
Long Roofing has many different types of roof shingles to choose from, including 3-tab, dimensional, and standing seam metal roofs. Our expert team can not only help you in your installation project, but we can help you narrow down the types of shingles that will work well for your particular roof.Contact our team today to schedule your appointment.
Also Check: How Much To Shingle A House
Comparison Of Asphalt Shingles To Other Popular Materials
Heres a summary of how asphalt shingles stack up against other popular roofing options.
- Metal roofing: From the upfront cost perspective, asphalt shingles cost less to install initially, but they generally have a higher lifetime cost. In other words, youll initially spend less for asphalt/fiberglass shingles than for metal but will need to replace the asphalt shingles once or a few times during the 30 to 50 years time-span. So, over the long-enough timeframe your total cost might actually be higher with the fiberglass composition shingles compared to metal. That said, asphalt shingles are easier and cheaper to repair when roof damage occurs.
- Clay and concrete tile: Shingles cost less, are easier to install and more versatile. They dont last as long, so the lifetime cost of asphalt shingles is comparable to clay and concrete tiles. Shingles can be DIY installed tiles should be professionally installed because improper installation can cause major damage to your home. Shingles can be installed on almost any roof, while a tile roof will require roof frame reinforcement.
- Cedar shakes and shingles: Asphalt shingles cost less, but dont last as long, so they might ultimately have a slightly higher lifetime cost. Asphalt roofs are generally easier to clean, repair and maintain than cedar shingles and shakes, and they are more resistant to fire and insects.
Choosing The Right Roofer For The Job
No matter how much you spend on roofing materials, the project will only turn out well if you hire a great contractor. Finding a good contractor is the hardest part of home renovation projects for most homeowners. Nevertheless, its essential to find an honest, trustworthy professional contractor.
Talk to friends and family members to find a great local contractor. By asking for word-of-mouth referrals, youre less likely to end up dealing with an unscrupulous service provider.
Youre also more likely to find a trustworthy service provider if you stick to contractors in your community. Also, local contractors are familiar with municipal regulations. They also have established relationships with local suppliers and laborers.
As you search for a contractor, look for a service provider with a manufacturers designation. This accreditation indicates that a service provider has exceptional skills.
Resultantly, a brand is willing to stake its name on the credibility of that particular contractor. GAF, for instance, only awards the top 2% of roofing contractors in each market the status of Master Elite Contractor.
You should also check with the Better Business Bureau . The BBB keeps a record of consumer reviews about local service providers.
The organization also sponsors an accreditation program. A business must maintain fair and ethical business practices for an A+ rating with the BBB.
Recommended Reading: Skylight On Metal Roof
Improper Installation Vs Manufacturers Defect
The roof shingle warranty discussion must start with the blame game. Anyone thats been involved with failing asphalt shingle roofs will tell you that the blame typically falls on bad installation. The reality is that asphalt shingle manufacturers are good at manufacturing shingles in a controlled factory environment. Once shingles leave the package they end up being installed in a not so perfect environment with varying degrees of supporting construction, weather and labor skill.
If you read the shingle warranty carefully you ill quickly realize that it only covers defects as a result of manufacturing. Asphalt shingle warranties do not cover defects due to poor installation or defects in the structure. Furthermore it becomes quite difficult to distinguish and prove what has caused the defecting roofing. Of the few successful warranty claims that Ive personally heard of they have all been a result of non-matched color and/or texture between packages of shingles.
Selecting A Roofing Contractor And Shingle
After reading this I think youll quickly realize that long term roof shingle warranties are marginal at best. What you should really consider when hiring a roofing contractor is both the installation warranty and the manufacturers warranty. When asking for estimates for a new roof you should also be asking for a copy of their written installation warranty along with a sample of the manufacturers warranty.
Selecting the cheapest price may not seem very attractive if the shingles come with a really poor warranty and the roofing contractor only warranties the installation for 90 days. Take your time and do your homework. The extra time and effort may pay off in a big way some day when you most need it.
Don’t Miss: Shed Eave Overhang
How Thick Are Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles themselves arent very thick. On average, only about 3/16th of an inch. They pack a punch into a small product. You can install a thicker shingle or a heavy duty shingle if you find its necessary or you like the look.
Adding in the felt underlayment and the wood sheathing, and you have a sturdy but relatively thin covering over your home. Asphalt shingle roofs can withstand many years without being more than a couple inches thick.
Disadvantages Of Asphalt Shingles
The following are the cons of using asphalt shingles.
- Vulnerable to Wind Uplift: Inexpensive asphalt shingles can get defenseless to strong winds. This makes them detach easily, thus making your roof vulnerable to leakages.
- Can Easily Crack: Due to their lightweight nature, asphalt shingles can crack easily, especially when exposed to extreme temperature variations. In addition, extreme temperature fluctuations can cause your shingles to contract and expand, resulting in cracks.
- Warping: One major asphalt shingle drawback is that they absorb a lot of water. As a result, the shingles get prone to warping leading to a weak roof that doesnt protect your home.
Read Also: Extending A Roof Overhang
Your Guide To Buying Roof Shingles
If you want to improve or repair your houses roofing, there is a wide variety of roof shingles. There are many materials and styles available. Besides aesthetics, roof shingles have to ensure securing your roof against wind and water damage. Its important that the shingles will last. Good quality shingles will be able to withstand the elements for 25 to 30 years.
Also, if you want to effect repairs to your roof yourself, you probably will want to match the existing design of your roof. Well take a glimpse at the various materials and schemes available, to make it easier to decide. Well also examine some of the safety measures that you can take when repairing or replacing shingles.
Weve composed this buyers guide to help you make the right decision when selecting roof shingles. It’ll help you:
Choose the right type of roof shingles,
See useful tips about that particular type of roof shingles,
Read reviews of different types of roof shingles, and what customers are saying,
Select the right brand of roof shingles, and
Compare prices and find the best deals.
Owens Corning Duration Vs Gaf Timberline Shingles: Leaders In The Industry
Owens Corning is the #1 roofing material manufacturer in North America, and it has been on top of its game for more than 100 years. In 2017, Owens Corning was named one of Americas Most Trustworthy Companies. It offers shingles that are up to 50% stronger against wear and tear than other brands, thanks to its EverGuard Technology.
GAF is the second-largest manufacturer of roofing materials in North America and has been around for more than 100 years as well! It offers shingles that are up to 30% stronger against wear and tear due to GAFs patented fiberglass reinforcement technology called Duraweave.
The question remains, which brand is best? They each have their unique benefits but also their fair share of downfallsI mean, no shingle is perfect, right? Lets find out which is superior.
Don’t Miss: How To Extend A Roof
What Are The Best Roofing Shingles
Once you have an idea of the type of roof shingles that will work best for your project, you need to know where to get them from. Several shingle manufacturers provide excellent products to suit your needs.
Shingle No. 1 CertainTeed Grand Manor Shingles
Founded in 1904, CertainTeed is one of the United States oldest and most established asphalt shingle manufacturing companies.
It offers several types of asphalt shingles, though theyre all characterized by a heavyweight style that results in more asphalt used per shingle than in most other brands.
CertainTeed shingles weigh between 200 and 460 pounds per square, with most other brands weighing between 150 and 260 pounds. This increase in asphalt volume means the companys shingles are stronger and more capable of dealing with the elements.
Grand Manor shingles have Class A fire certification and weigh approximately 400 pounds per square. They provide five layers of coverage, making them ideal for homes in windy areas or locations that experience a lot of storms.
The company also offers an extended warranty that lasts for the lifetime of the shingles. You can also transfer this warranty to a new owner, though the warranty only transfers once before it is voided.
The shingles come in three color options and emulate the look of natural slate, though they use more cost-effective asphalt.
Shingle No. 2 GAF Woodland Shingles
Shingle No. 3 Atlas StormMaster Slate
Shingle No. 4 Owens Corning Oakridge Roof Shingles
The Shingle Nailing Zone
This describes the area on the shingle where roofers are supposed to insert the nails that will attach the shingles to the roof.
Some manufacturers make the nailing zone easy to navigate, while others are more complicated.
Both Malarkey products, as well as the IKO Dynasty and Owens Corning Duration had good nailing zones.
Conversely, TAMKO Heritage and PABCO Premier both scored a 2 for their underwhelming nailing zones.
Also Check: How Much Does A Roof Cost In California
Roof Replacement Roi: Cost
The national average cost-to-value return when a house is sold within the first ten years of replacing asphalt shingles is about 70%. Tips for getting the best ROI include:
- Use a grade of shingle consistent with neighborhood standards
- Avoid unusual colors
- Choose roofing from one of the top brands a brand potential buyers are likely to know rather than a small brand that might raise concerns
- Choose a material with a transferable warranty
The Best Roofing Shingles For Your Next Roofing Project
Finding the best roofing shingles for your home can make all the difference. The next time you need a roof replacement, take the time to evaluate the different types of roof shingles available. Learning the basics will help you find the material, color, and value that perfectly fits your home and budget.
There are quite a few details to consider when you need new roofing shingles. What are roofing shingles made of? What is the difference between architectural shingles and 3-tab shingles? and Which roofing shingle brands are the best? Minnesota Exteriors can provide answers to help you decide on the type of shingle, color, and brand, so you can have complete confidence when starting your next roofing project.
Visit the MEI showroom in Osseo, MN to explore our collection of the best roofing shingles on the market.
You May Like: Corrugated Roofing Overhang
Making Your Final Decision
The decision to invest in a new roof is one that you or someone who might later purchase your home will have to live with for 20 to 50 years. Thats why its critical to do your homework before deciding.
Heres a checklist to review before making that final decision:
- Remember that protecting your home against water penetration is the primary purpose of any shingle.
- Consider the special needs of your climate.
- Research your local code restrictions before making any shingle adjustments. A good contractor will help guide you, but its a good idea to educate yourself beforehand. For example, some communities do not allow wood shakes because theyre not fire-resistant. Areas like California and Miami-Dade, Florida, have unique requirements.
- Keep in mind the architectural style of your home when considering your shingle style.
- Choose a shingle profile and color that will complement your homes exterior elements.
- Always view an actual shingle sample in varying light conditions before making your final selection.
- Obtain quotes from three professional roofing contractors. Factor personality, work history and experience into your decision not just pricing.
Ready to start your asphalt shingle installation?
Iron Shield Roofing A Choice You Can Trust
We only work with the best shingle manufacturers, so you know that your commercial building is getting the best asphalt roofing shingles possible. But, what you may not have considered is that when you work with us, you also get a tremendous number of shingle styles and colours to choose from. If you want to maintain the architectural integrity of your building, but dont want to deal with the upkeep and cost of other roofing materials, call us. Well help you find exactly the right high-quality, long-lasting, and great looking shingles.
You May Like: How Much For Shingle Roof
Advantages Of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles come with numerous pros for a better roofing experience. Here are the reasons you should roof using asphalt shingles.
- Easy to Install: Asphalt shingles are very light and easy to cut, hence easy to install. You dont need special tools or exhausting preparations. This means that you will only have a few days to have a splendid roof over your head.
- Flexibility: Asphalt shingles can cover distinct roof shapes, forms, and angles. The roofing material works well with any roof, including a Dutch gable to cross-hipped.
- Environmentally Friendly: You can easily recycle asphalt shingles. The products quality gets better after recycling as opposed to other roofing materials. In addition, many organizations focus on the disposal of shingles. This guarantees that only a tiny fraction of shingles get to the environment.
- Durable: The asphalt shingles durability outshines other roofing materials in the market. Also, the roofing shingles provide resistance against extreme natural events like snow, rain, and hot temperatures. The type of roofing materials come with an opening to emit any heat or moisture confined in your roofs upper floor.
- Less Costly: Among the roofing materials you can get in the market, asphalt shingles are among the most affordable choice. This makes it an ideal option for home builders on a low budget.
- Easy to Replace: You can easily replace your asphalt shingles. You can also replace the shingles one at a time without replacing the whole roof.
Types Of Fiberglass Shingles
There are two types of fiberglass shingles as far as style goes that homeowners have installed. There are 3 tab fiberglass shingles which are the more affordable type of asphalt shingle. The more expensive tier fiberglass shingle is an architectural shingle roof which is the standard for high end homes, they create visually pleasing designs and can even be made to look like slate tile roofing or wood shake roofing at a fraction of the cost.
Don’t Miss: Extending Roof Overhang
What To Look For
Since the cost of a new roof is mainly labor, picking a more expensive shingle is not as financially painful as you might think. Doubling the cost of your shingles adds only a small increase to the total cost of a roof. So what should you be looking for in a quality shingle? Just like anything you do get what you pay for so even if a cheap shingle looks great, there should always be some skepticism about why its so cheap. Let me outline the important aspects of asphalt shingles here.
Best Asphalt Shingles For Your Home
Reroofing your home? Here are the best asphalt shingles, rated by a pro roofer. Includes 7 categories, with tips.
When choosing your new roof, you cant go wrong with asphalt shingles. Theyre affordable and look great.But price shouldnt be your only consideration.
In this guide, we rate the best asphalt shingles for your home, rated by category, based on our experience as pro roofers.
Now, lets review the asphalt shingles we recommend most, by looking at how they rate in these categories:
For quality you can trust, look at shingles from the industrys top-tier manufacturers:
- Owen Corning
Other manufacturers stand out in specific categories, but for consistent quality in multiple categories, you cant go wrong with one of these three companies.
You May Like: Rv Roof Repair Cost