Premium Or Luxury Shingles
These are usually the same architectural shingles with super-thick and heavy shingles that weigh more, have a more premium looks, HD colors and have higher profiles and distinct cuts to more closely mimic the appearance of genuine slate and cedar roofing.
These shingles are heavier making them more wind resistant. But, on the same token, they cost more compared to normal architectural shingles.
Whitin Men’s Trail Running Shoes Minimalist Barefoot 5 Five Fingers Wide Width Size 95 Toe Box Gym Workout Fitness Low Zero Drop Male Lightweight Minimus Tennis Flat Comfort Black Gum 42
$ as of January 3, 2022 9:40 pm
- Padded rear collar pad for achilles comfort.
- 5 mm POWER FOOTBED for underfoot cushioning.
- Engineered knit upper for a sock-like fit and flexible feel.
- Zero-drop, non-elevated sole for proper posture and balance.
- Sticky-grip rubber outsole combines grip, traction, and durability for trail-ready performance.
Making Your Final Decision
The decision to invest in a new roof is one that you or someone who might later purchase your home will have to live with for 20 to 50 years. Thats why its critical to do your homework before deciding.
Heres a checklist to review before making that final decision:
- Remember that protecting your home against water penetration is the primary purpose of any shingle.
- Consider the special needs of your climate.
- Research your local code restrictions before making any shingle adjustments. A good contractor will help guide you, but its a good idea to educate yourself beforehand. For example, some communities do not allow wood shakes because theyre not fire-resistant. Areas like California and Miami-Dade, Florida, have unique requirements.
- Keep in mind the architectural style of your home when considering your shingle style.
- Choose a shingle profile and color that will complement your homes exterior elements.
- Always view an actual shingle sample in varying light conditions before making your final selection.
- Obtain quotes from three professional roofing contractors. Factor personality, work history and experience into your decision not just pricing.
Ready to start your asphalt shingle installation?
Read Also: How Do I Know If My Roof Is Leaking
Which Shingle Is More Durable
Durability is a very important factor, because you want your new roof to last a long time. GAF and CertainTeed have comparable quality shingles.
Still, many roofers have their personal preference. This may be due to local weather differences, as well as particular installation methods of each roofer.
In terms of pure facts, Landmark shingles weigh at least 250 270 lb per square. This makes them about 30% more heavy than Timberlines. Some roofers believe this extra weight makes Landmark more sturdy and less susceptible to wind blow off.
They are also more resistant to cracks, cupping and heavy impact such as hail. One disadvantage is that the extra weight makes for a more challenging, time consuming installation. This can be one of the reasons why some less experiences roofers would not like Certainteed shingles.
Other roofers think Timberline roofs are just as sturdy. The extra weight in the CertainTeed shingles is due to added limestone, which in their opinion is a useless filler material.
Thorogood American Heritage 6 Steel Toe Work Boots For Men
as of January 3, 2022 9:40 pm
- STEEL SAFETY TOE protects your feet from on-site impact and compression hazards while the design keeps them light and flexible, making American Heritage some of the best steel toe boots for men with dangerous jobs. Meets ASTM F2413-18 safety-toe standards.
- MAXWEAR WEDGE SLIP-RESISTANT TRACTION OUTSOLE flexes better than other work boot outsoles, absorbing impacts and protecting your feet while working on difficult surfaces. They help keep you on your feet even on wet, and oily surfaces and loose gravel. Meets ASTM F3445-21 slip-resistance standards. MAXWear Wedge also meets ASTM F2413-18 or ASTM F2892-18 ELECTRICAL HAZARD safety standards.
- REMOVABLE ULTIMATE SHOCK ABSORPTION FOOTBED on Poron Comfort Cushion Insole, Thorogoods dual-density cushioning uses air-permeable open cells that both resist moisture and absorb shock for the most comfortable out-of-the-box work boot out there.
- FIBERGLASS SHANK CONSTRUCTION gives these mens work boots the flex and strength needed to maintain their shape under heavy duress.
- GOODYEAR WELT CONSTRUCTION provides superior wear resistance and moisture seal between upper and midsole making these extremely dependable and long-lasting men’s work boots.
Also Check: Cost Of New Roof Los Angeles
How Cr Tests Roofing Shingles
Our roofing tests focus on a shingles strength and how well it maintains its appearance over time. We apply force to the shingles by using a calibrated machine, called an Instron, that applies force, replicating everything from ferocious winds to fallen tree limbs.
We test the thickest part of each single, which is where the largest number of layers overlap. And we also test the thinnest partstypically near the edgeswhere theres often only one layer of material, because these are the weak spots that can lead to loose or cracked shingles, and eventually, leaks. We also drop 5-pound weights from various heights, to simulate heavy hail, and see which shingles bend, dent, or crack from the impact. To see how the shingles stand up over time to sun and rain, we use a machine that exposes them to 500 hours’ worth of UV light that’s as bright as the midday sun and water sprays that mimic strong rain.
Below, CR members with digital access can read ratings and reviews of three top-performing shingles from our tests. Check our latest roofing ratings for detailed results for 16 different lines of asphalt roofing shingles. For information on roofing materials and installation, see our Roofing Buying Guide.
Additional Tips For The Work
Some roofing coil nailers have an adjustable shingle guide. This lets you automatically set the position of the nail with respect to the bottom of the shingle. This is extremely handy, though after a while you will likely find yourself, guide-free, nailing away quickly and accurately once youve done a couple of rows.
We recommend a 6 nail pattern regardless of whether or not you live in a high-wind area. It simply doesnt take all that much more effort. Most people use pneumatic roofing nailers, so adding n extra couple of hits takes little effort. The cost certainly isnt much more either. Take into account the hassle associated with any kind of early roofing material failure, and youll probably agree that a little extra time and money spent up front can save a lot of hassle down the road.
Your information will *never* be shared or sold to a 3rd party.
Don’t Miss: Skylight Installation Metal Roof
How To Fix Damaged Roof Shingles
We share step-by-step instructions for the three most common asphalt-shingle repairs.
Maintaining a sound roof literally tops the list of crucial home repairs: It keeps you and your family warm and dry, along with everything in your house. A new roof is a pricey proposition. These simple repairs can keep your existing roof sound for years to come.
Disadvantages Of Asphalt Shingles
The following are the cons of using asphalt shingles.
- Vulnerable to Wind Uplift: Inexpensive asphalt shingles can get defenseless to strong winds. This makes them detach easily, thus making your roof vulnerable to leakages.
- Can Easily Crack: Due to their lightweight nature, asphalt shingles can crack easily, especially when exposed to extreme temperature variations. In addition, extreme temperature fluctuations can cause your shingles to contract and expand, resulting in cracks.
- Warping: One major asphalt shingle drawback is that they absorb a lot of water. As a result, the shingles get prone to warping leading to a weak roof that doesnt protect your home.
Also Check: Where Do You Put The Screws On A Metal Roof
What Is An Asphalt Shingle Made From
An asphalt shingle roof top has to protect your home from heat, cold, and moisture, and must remain flexible enough to provide adequate protection from the elements, as well as from anything that might be blown against it during high winds.
While asphalt is the main ingredient, asphalt shingles are made from a variety of raw materials, and every manufacturer uses a slightly different blend of materials. Shingles are made of multiple layers. One of the most important layers is an asphalt coated fiberglass mat. The fiberglass provides the flexibility the shingle needs to survive temperature extremes. If it becomes too brittle, this can also compromise the ability of the shingle to protect against water penetration.
Finely crushed limestone gets mixed with asphalt to create a coating. This coating is then applied to both the top and the bottom of a web or sheet of fiberglass which is made from glass fibers and bound together with stable resins and binders. It then gets heated. This creates the base of the shingle. Crushed up rock or ceramic granules provide color, texture, and a protective coating against deterioration from the suns UV rays. Many of these granules are what you might find in your gutters when it is getting to be time to think about replacing your roof. Often algae-resistant granules are added to help prevent black streaks and discoloration. There is a protective sealant on the very top layer.
Types Of Roofing Shingles
In addition to maintaining the integrity of your roofs structure and helping to keep out water, roofing shingles also add a tremendous amount of curb appeal and value to your home. The type of roofing shingles you choose can also affect your roofs durability against wind, rain, hail, and other weather events.
Learn more about the different types and styles of roofing shingles.
You May Like: Cost Of New Roof California
Pros Of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are typically considered the most visually appealing roofing option. They offer color and texture in a variety of options so you can easily find a style to compliment your home. Some options can even resemble wood surfaces. They are most likely to be consistent with the other houses in your neighborhood and could be the perfect fit for your home.
Asphalt shingles are relatively easy to work with and install. They also absorb heat, which helps warm your home in winter, making your home more energy efficient in the colder months of the year.
Top Asphalt Shingle Manufacturers
IKO Asphalt Roofing Shingles effectively protect for your home and family against inclement weather. High end options that can mimic the sought-after designer look and beauty of genuine slate tiles or wood shakes. Many have Class A fire ratings. Except for the Marathon and Cambridge, the rest have high wind resistance ratings.
- Traditional 3-Tab
- Cambridge: Basic architectural shingles with straight, not angled, cuts.
- Dynasty: Dimensional shingle with a high wind rating and algae resistance.
- Nordic: Dimensional shingle with a high wind rating, algae resistance and class 4 impact resistance.
- Crown Slate: Performance designer shingle that mimics slate.
- Armourshake: Performance designer shingle that mimics wood shake.
- Royal Estate: Performance designer shingle that mimics slate
Owens Corning currently offers nine lines of shingles with varying wind resistances. All except the 3-tab come with a limited lifetime warranty. Owens Corning TruDefinition Duration laminated architectural shingles start at $35 and can cost as much as $50, depending on color and style.
- Duration: mid-priced architectural shingles
- Woodmoor: Same as Woodcrest but thicker and heavier.
- Supreme: Standard 3-tab.
Ready to start your asphalt shingle installation?
Don’t Miss: Skylight In Metal Roof
What Are Fiberglass Shingles
Fiberglass shingles are a practical option for your roof installation project. In addition, you can get the products that come from a woven fiberglass base mat.
A waterproof asphalt coating covers the roofing material. Its then topped with ceramic particles that protect the shingles from harmful UV rays.
Stabilicers Walk Traction Cleat For Walking On Snow And Ice Black Medium
as of January 3, 2022 9:40 pm
- Pair of robust traction cleats fit securely on any shoe or boot to reduce the risk of falls and increase safety when walking on snow and ice
- Multi-directional heat-treated steel traction plates are molded into the heel and forefoot of the stretch-to-fit thermoplastic elastomer binding for maximum surface contact
- Full-sole coverage provides 360 degrees of traction for everyday activities like walking the dog and shoveling the driveway
- High-performance traction aids are built to stand up to hard use and are tested to remain flexible in frigid temperatures, down to -45 degrees Fahrenheit
- Size medium fits mens shoe sizes 7.5-10 and womens shoe sizes 8.5-12 can be folded up and carried in a pack or purse made in the USA 90 day manufacturers warranty
You May Like: Shingling A Shed
Are Certainteed Shingles Better Than Gaf
For homeowners and builders alike, GAF and CertainTeed are both highly rated, top-notch shingle brands in the industry. They are well known for their cost, quality, styles, warranties, and premium features. Sometimes, one company is better for your needs than the other. Heres the lowdown:
CertainTeed has the best roof shingles in its class and has a reputation for manufacturing premium roofing materials. They are known for their remarkable quality and offer top-of-the-line shingles, but they have begun adding more cost-effective products in response to growing competition. Their Landmark shingle fits into this category.
CertainTeed has the advantage over GAF by making thicker shingles. The thicker material of the shingles makes them more resistant to wind, impacts, and cracking. CertainTeed costs more, but you get better quality. They have the most expertise in high-end shingles. This is the company to go with when you want fewer loopholes in the warranty fine print, and you can find a reputable, experienced roofing company that is certified to install CertainTeed products.
GAF, however, is the largest manufacturer of residential roofing shingles and offers budget-friendly options similar in cost to Owens-Corning, and IKO. GAF stands behind their contractors so strongly that it only awards the top 2% of roofing contractors in each market the status of Master Elite Contractor. GAF provides consistent quality and reliable products.
The Shingle Pull Test
Some roofers denounce pull tests, claiming they dont properly simulate the actual effects of hailstorms or windstorms, but other roofing contractors support the pull test.
Either way, all of the manufacturers in this exercise earned high marks, with Atlas, IKO Dynasty, and Owens Corning all registering perfect scores.
Read Also: How Much Does A Roof Cost In California
The Top 5 Roof Shingle Brands
The roofing material you choose for your replacement has a significant impact on the entire roofing project. It impacts the cost, installation, warranty options, and more.
If youre like most homeowners, youre probably going with the commonly seen asphalt roof. But did you know there are actually different brands of asphalt shingles?
If you didnt, youre not alone. There are plenty of asphalt shingle brands to choose from, but the question most homeowners have is, whos the best?
The truth is, its hard to say one roof shingle brand is better than the other because they all make great products. But there are some that stand out to roofing contractors and offer homeowners like you more varieties to give your roof the exact look you want.
Thats why were going to give the top roof shingle brands.
Since 1990, the team at Bill Ragan Roofing has helped homeowners in the Nashville area get the beautiful roof they deserve while staying in their budget. We provide you all the information you need to make the right decision for you and your situation. And after were done with your roofing project, were proud to offer you a lifetime warranty on our workmanship.
Cons Of Metal Roofing
Metal roofing tends to come at a much higher price point than asphalt shingles. If installed incorrectly, their efficiency is not nearly as high, and they are difficult to install yourself. Metal roofing often requires an underlying plywood framing, which requires professional installation.
Some metal roofing is heavier to work with and can result in cuts to the skin when handled improperly or without the right set of gloves.
Read Also: Proper Screw Placement Metal Roofing
Picking The Best Asphalt Shingles
You should be armed with enough information to pick the right shingles at the right price for your house now. Dont get too hung up and on the different manufacturers special options. The main issues are what we have discussed, and following these guidelines will help you compare apples to apples so you dont accidentally end up with a lemon. Just like any home improvement purchase, take your time and put your hands on some shingles before making the final decision.
Do they feel significant or do they feel cheap and weak? Your gut is a good guide once you can get the product in your hands and see it in real life rather than on a computer screen. Use the facts above and trust your gut and youll be just fine. Happy roofing!
Founder & Senior Editor
I love old houses, working with my hands, and teaching others the excitment of doing it yourself! Everything is teachable if you only give it the chance.
The part of your article that discussed what picking a certain color for your roof can influence was quite interesting to read. Were trying our best to prevent our electricity bills from being too high since we work from home now and are using our HVAC system much more often. With that in mind, Ill look for an asphalt shingle roofing contractor that can help us pick out a cool enough roof color that can help us when the hot months start.
Gaf Advanced Protection Shingles
If wind is a significant part of your areas weather patterns, our most popular Timberline® Shingles offer all-around durability and performance. And now, Timberline® Shingles with LayerLock Technology may qualify for WindProven Limited Wind Warranty, the industrys first wind warranty with no maximum speed limitation when installed with the required combination of GAF accessories.1
Concerned about hail? Impact-resistant shingles like Grand Sequoia® AS and Timberline® AS II may be good options if your area is impacted by significant hail storms. They have rubber-like flexibility, allowing them to recover from impact.
If heavy sun exposure and energy efficiency are concerns in your area, check out our GAF Timberline Cool Series Shingles. The highly reflective shingles of these cool roofs can help reduce temperatures in your attic and keep your house cooler.
If you are in a region with high moisture and plagued by blue-green algae discoloration, consider Timberline UHD shingles with StainGuard Plus®.
Also Check: Roof Replacement Cost In California